Friday, June 22, 2012

hair (or in our case, headband) clip storage

I knew that having a girl would be different than having boys, but one thing that still kind of floors me is how many more accessories little girls accumulate from day one!  Sweet Pea still doesn't have much hair, but thanks to those soft, stretchy headbands with handy holes that you can clip bows and flowers to, we already have quite a collection of hair (ahem, headband) clips.  After a few months of digging through a small, overflowing basket full of them, I decided that a better storage solution was necessary.

I ended up combining a clever idea I saw on Pinterest with the current trend of kitchy embroidery-hoop wall art to make my very own Christina variation.  It was a super-quick (maybe 5 minutes to assemble each hoop), super-cheap (I picked up the embroidery hoops at the thrift store for a few cents each and used ribbons and laces from my stash), and super-practical.

I started by arranging a variety of ribbons and laces over the inner ring of an embroidery hoop. Then I put a thin line of Elmer's glue around the inside of the outer embroidery hoop ring to make it just a little more secure (I'm sure you could also use craft glue or hot glue instead), and pressed the outer ring over the inner ring.  After tugging on the ribbons to make sure they were nice and smooth and tightening the screw at the top of the hoop, I trimmed all the ribbon ends.

After the glue dried, I was arranged our hair (headband) clips on the ribbons and lace and hung the hoops on the wall.  They would probably be cuter if I had taken the time to spray paint the wooden embroidery hoops, but I didn't feel like waiting.  They have held up remarkably well so far and look pretty cute, unpainted wood and all.

Linking up with Jennifer's In the Studio today.

2 comments:

stitching under oaks said...

what a fun idea! I like the idea of turning them into wall art! such a fun thing for little or big girls!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

That is so cute!! They look fantastic... like wall art. Functional wall art! :)