Thursday, October 7, 2010

celebrating autumn

Autumn is my favorite season.

I love the crispness of the wind in my face,
the colors of brilliant leaves against a cerulean or soft slate sky,
the poignant smell of dying leaved laced with a hint of wood smoke,
the honk of geese flying south and the crunch of leaves under my feet...

It is the only season that I consistently bring inside my home,
adding its splashes of color and scent
to my usual decor.

Here are some of the autumny things I've been enjoying in my home:

arranging mini pumpkins
(or, as Little Man calls them, punk-mins)
in the autumn sun in my kitchen

filling the air with spicy, autumn scents
melted in my new scentsy warmer

admiring bright yellow mums in a red vase
(they're starting to look a little sad, but that's okay.
they've been cheerfully bright for over a week now.)

making apple-shaped grilled cheese sandwiches
for Little Man

getting ready to turn three boxes of beautiful golden delicious apples
picked by my aunt and cousins
into sauce, butter, and crisp

How are you enjoying autumn this year?

3 comments:

stitching under oaks said...

I love this time of year too! those apples look wonderful and how fun that you made little guy's grilled cheese into an apple shape. I'm enjoying coffee in the afternoons and walks in the crisp morning air.

Shelly said...

That grilled cheese is too cute!

Sarah said...

Fall is the beginning of "birthday" season in our home, making it a quadruply(?)fun time of year. Add wonderful time spent in the woods and wilds, and I love Fall, too! Great family photos!